Friday, May 27, 2011

What is a Fiduciary?

I had a prospective client inquire the other day about my fiduciary duty. What is my fiduciary duty in my profession and why would a prospective client care?

A fiduciary duty can be defined as the highest standard of care at either equity or law. A fiduciary is expected to be extremely loyal to the person who he owes the duty (the principal) and must not put his own interests ahead of the principal. Personally, I expect this type of care any time I am entering into an agreement with someone to oversee something of value for me. I have also aligned myself with professional organizations and standards boards that require this level of professional conduct. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to find professionals who will agree to this level of care. We are all inherently selfish beings and tend to look out for ourselves first.

Regulations in the financial world allow for various types of arrangements between professionals and clients. Not all of these arrangements require the financial professional to act as a fiduciary. Because of the sensitive nature and the significance of financial matters in all of our lives, I encourage anyone I come in contact with to consider the types of arrangements they enter into with various professionals to ensure that their needs are being considered first instead of someone else's needs. Feel free to contact me if you are ever in question about a financial relationship and how it should be structured, considering all involved. I have also included a list of valuable websites on this blog that provide resources for finding ethical financial professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment